Saturday, November 3, 2012

Cracked: Why "Gangnam Style" Is Actually An Exercise in Mind Control

This is comedy, but falls under weird stuff, which this blog is dedicated to. It's hard writing about weird stuff when I also have criteria that something should be objectively measured or demonstrated. Cracked writer Chris Buckholz explores this topic.

There is apparently a new meme going around about a mindless song accompanied by a music video of people riding imaginary horses. Apparently, when pop culture devotes hear the song, they spontaneously break out into imaginary horse riding-dancing.

Buckholz explores a novel called Snow Crash that also gets into ancient Sumerian culture. This is where I start to lose my area of expertise, so I'll summarize. Apparently, according to Buckholz's summation, ancient Sumerian language consisted of short syllables. It allowed people to be commanded.by the priests.

Buckholz explores (through comedy) the use of technology to command people to do things. He brings up police vehicles with huge "F**k off roof mounted sound systems", which are often used to disperse protesters. Imagine if the police at a G-20 or Bilderberg protest could cause the entire crowd to crap their pants and start imaginary horse dancing.

Somebody should send this to Alex Jones.

I've never heard the song, seen the dance, or seen anybody doing the dance. I'm still trying to heal from "Macerana" and "Achy Breaky Heart" in the 90's.I have an abnormally low tolerance to simple sound catchy pop culture tunes and memes. If enjoying the crap forces me to shut my brain off and repeat the same 2-4 words over and over and over again, forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment